Kärcher FAQs - Questions and answers on warranty, repairs and parts
Here you can find answers to the most frequently asked questions regarding our products, repair service and warranty. If you do not find the answer you are looking for on the following page, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Warranty and Service - Home & Garden Products
The Rapid Exchange Program bypasses the hassles of a traditional repair program by providing a quick and free replacement for a pressure washer that requires in-warranty repairs. Instead of waiting weeks for your pressure washer to be repaired, you will be up and running again with the least possible amount of downtime.
To take advantage of the Rapid Exchange Program, your product must meet the following criteria:
- It must be a Kärcher electric product such as a pressure washer or vacuum
- It must have been purchased new from an authorized retailer.
- Note! Kärcher products purchased through online auctions, swap/flea markets and other second- and third-party markets are not eligible for the program
- It must have been used exclusively for residential cleaning. Kärcher products used for commercial cleaning are ineligible.
- It must be within the covered warranty period
- It must be accompanied by proof of purchase. Valid forms of proof of purchase include legible copies (fax) of the original sales or gift receipt, or credit card statement.
Kärcher will replace your product with an equivalent new product. In the event that we do not have a replacement model that exactly matches your model, a comparable or upgraded unit in performance and value from our current product range will be sent to you. This program is provided at no additional cost to you.
If you believe your Kärcher product requires warrantied repairs and meets all of the stated criteria, please call 1-800-537-4129 to speak with a customer care specialist. The specialist will ask you a series of questions and determine your eligibility to participate into the Rapid Exchange Program.
- A rapid exchange number will be issued. This enables us to keep together all information pertaining to your exchange and gives you a reference number for future inquiries. You will be sent an email with the rapid exchange number along with a Rapid Exchange Form.
- Follow the directions on the form which include attaching the silver sticker label from your product as well as a copy of your proof of purchase showing the date and place of purchase. You may send this form back to us electronically or via postal mail
- A replacement product will be shipped out to you as soon as we receive and verify the information with the form. Please allow seven to ten days for delivery.
- Be sure to inspect your replacement product as soon as you receive it and notify us if anything is missing, damaged or not working properly due to shipping.
- Enjoy your newly received pressure washer, window vac or other product! For added peace of mind, any remaining time on your original warranty will be applied to your replacement product. For example, if you bought a pressure washer on January 1 with a one-year warranty and exchanged it with the Rapid Exchange Program on July 15, the replacement pressure washer would be covered until December 31, the expiration date of your original warranty.
Most shipping companies have strict regulations regarding the shipment of items that have contained gasoline. Gasoline pressure washers that require in-warranty and out-of-warranty repairs should be taken to one of our authorized independent service centers.
Kärcher pressure washers and vacuums are serviced by a network of independent, authorized service centers. You can locate an authorized service center near you on this website by visiting our Service Addresses page. Be sure to select whether you have an electric or gas pressure washer.
Once you've identified Kärcher authorized service centers in your area, we recommend that you call ahead to check their schedule for availability.
If you have difficulty locating a service center in your area, please submit a help ticket or call our customer care line at 800-537-4129 so that we may assist you.
To buy parts you may contact one of these independent dealers:
- R. J. Bowers: (800) 383-6584 or www.rjbowers.com
- Ereplacementparts: 877-346-4815 or www.ereplacementparts.com
- OrderTree: (877) 500-7499 or www.ordertree.com
Please note that most electric pressure washers are covered by our Rapid Exchange Program. If your electric pressure washer is eligible, you may not need to visit a service center. Please refer to the FAQ's on Rapid Exchange Program for more information.
Warranty - Professional Products
Please contact the dealer in which the product was purchased.
From the date the unit is sold either directly from Kärcher, or authorized Kärcher distributor.
You may register here or often the authorized Kärcher dealer performs this function.
Product FAQ's – Home & Garden
FC5 Floor Cleaner
In all cases, check with the flooring manufacturer to understand limitations, particularly with unsealed flooring types. However, unlike traditional wet mops or other wet floor cleaning devices, the FC5 uses a minimal amount of moisture to clean, leaving floors dry in two minutes and eliminating pooling where water can migrate under flooring.
The FC5 is designed for use on nearly all hard floor surfaces including the following: natural hard woods, tile, stone including travertine, vinyl / PVC including Moduleo®, linoleum and Aguaguard™.
Yes. There are 4 one-ounce detergents included with each FC5, and they can also be purchased separately in 16.9 oz bottles. Each provides optimal, streak-free cleaning and protection with a fresh lemon scent.
For the included sample bottles of Kärcher detergent, use about 1/3 to 1/2 of the sample bottle per tank (50ml) of fresh water.
For the 16.9 oz bottles Kärcher detergents, 1/4 to 1/2 capful is recommended per tank (50ml) of fresh water.
To avoid foaming, fill the tank with fresh water first.
For ideal utilization and perfect results we recommend the use of Kärcher cleaning detergents. Other hard floor cleaners can be used, but we advise to test a small inconspicuous area before you begin cleaning, as we do not test other brands of detergents for proper dilution ratios and cleaning results.
The front tank is for fresh water and detergent. Simply grab the lip of the top portion and pull out and up. Remove the rubber stopper at top and fill with fresh water until the max fill line. Always fill with fresh water before adding detergent to avoid foaming. Add no more than 1/2 cap of detergent and replace rubber stopper. Replace the tank, seating the bottom into the FC5 and then pushing the top in, until it clicks.
There is no difference in material or performance. Yellow and gray options are available to help owners use different rollers for specific floors (eg., bathroom vs kitchen).
The rollers are made of durable, microfiber material and designed for extended use and cleaning. Actual life will depend on floor type and frequency of use. Coarse, natural stone will wear the rollers faster than if used on polished tile or hard floors. Daily use of the FC5 will wear the rollers faster than if used only once per week.
For quick cleaning of the rollers, place the FC5 in the docking station, add water to the tray, and press the button to run the FC5 for 1-2 minutes. This will draw water across the rollers and through the FC5 system. Then simply empty the dirty water tank. To deep clean the rollers, turn the end of the each roller counterclockwise to remove from the FC5. The rollers can be the be washed in a washing machine or by hand (note: never use bleach).
The FC5 is designed to be used only when the rollers are wet. Make sure you’ve primed the FC5 before your first use (or after a long period of non-use) by letting the rollers spin in the docking station with water for a few seconds. Then check to make sure there’s enough liquid in the clean water/detergent tank to keep the rollers moist while you're cleaning.
Prime your FC5 by placing in the docking station and adding water. Turn on the FC5 and let run for 1-2 minutes or until the water is gone. If you’ve already primed your FC5, check to make sure the nozzle cover is fully seated and the nozzle release button (gray) is fully raised. When the nozzle release button is depressed, the flow of detergent to the rollers is stopped.
To empty the dirty water tank (on the back of the FC5), simple squeeze the top and pull out. The filter screen at the top collects larger debris and can be removed and cleaned separately. The main container container FC5 is designed to be used only when the rollers are wet. Check to make sure there’s enough liquid in the clean water/detergent tank and the rollers are moist.
The exterior can be wiped down with a damp cloth while the inside has a self-rinsing function. Simply place the FC5 in the docking station, fill the docking station with fresh water and turn the FC5 on. The fresh water will be pulled through the FC5 system flushing any dirty water or debris and depositing in the dirty water tank.
- Pour all of the detergent concentrate supplied (20 ml) into the spray bottle supplied and fill it up with water.
- Depending on how dirty the windowpane is, you may have to clean it several times. The cleaning agent solution should not be allowed to dry on while you do this.
- Hold the window vac so that that the squeegee is perpendicular to the windowpane and do not use too much pressure.
- We also recommend that you clean the squeegee regularly, removing any dirt residues. The squeegee can be pulled out sideways. If the squeegee is worn, it should be replaced.
- Spray the windowpane so that it is moist all over.
Make sure that the dirty water tank is not too full, particularly if you are using the device in a horizontal position or above your head.
Cordless Vacuum Cleaners
- Dust conatiner is full
- Filter is clogged
- Check the dust container
- Empty and clean the dust container and filter (ok to clean under running water and air dry)
- Check and clean the cyclone cover
- Battery is nearly empty
- The vacuum may be overheating
- Charge the battery
- Check whether the dust conatiner is clogged
- Clean the dust container
- Switch the vacuum on again
- It is becoming too hot
- Check to see if the brush roller is blocked and remove any obstructions
- Switch on the appliance again
Depending on the model, Kärcher residential pressure washers have a flow rate of between 1.25 and 2.5 gallons per minute. Pressure washers are therefore easy on your budget as well as the environment.
In an electric pressure washer, an electrically powered pump raises the water pressure by up to 40X. With this pressure, the water is conveyed through the high-pressure hose to a lance, where it is ejected as a sharp, concentrated jet from a nozzle, creating enormous cleaning power. If the spray gun is not activated, the pump will switch off automatically. A pressure washer allows you to carry out your cleaning tasks even more quickly than with conventional methods while also using less water.
- Simply spray the vehicle down with high pressure to remove coarse dirt.
- We recommend using Kärcher Vehicle Wash & Wax for a more thorough clean. The cleaning agent is applied gently onto the vehicle in low pressure.
- You can also use a wash brush to more effectively distribute the detergent and remove stubborn debris.
Kärcher cleaning agents are eco-friendly, biodegradable and specially formulated for our products. We cannot guarantee the cleaning effectiveness of other brands of detergents. Remember to never use bleach with a pressure washer!
The backflow preventer stops detergent from getting into the water system.
- Connect the device to the water supply and turn on the tap.
- Remove the filter from the water inlet and clean it.
- Switch the pressure washer on without the steel pipe and allow it to run until there is no more air coming out of the spray gun.
- Check whether you are using the right accessories.
- If the pressure and suction valves are leaking and there is water coming out of the casing, or if the device is throbbing, please consult one of our service partners or contact us directly.
- If the overflow valve is stuck, please consult one of our service partners or contact us directly.
- Clean the nozzle insert.
- Check if you are using the right nozzle.
- Check if there is enough water coming out.
- Check the power supply and mains fuse.
- Check the main switch and spray gun.
- For extension cables of 10 m or longer, the diameter must be at least 2.5 mm².
- Completely unwind the cable drum.
- The pressure switch or control pistons are stuck
- The motor is overheating
- The main switch is faulty
- Fill up the cleaning agent container.
- Rinse out the vacuum filter with fresh water and clean it. Once you have finished cleaning with cleaning agent, you should rinse the device out with fresh water to prevent the filter from clogging up.
- Check the suction hose for damage.
- Take the cleaning agent hose on the device and, using a thin object, push back the valve on the hose nipple so that it moves smoothly.
- Start the flow and set to low pressure.
Check that the sealing lip and seal on the waste hopper are still in good condition and replace if necessary.
Multi-Purpose Wet/Dry Vacs
You can use a multi-purpose vac for individual dry leaves, but not for large quantities of leaves. Hard or wet leaves can quickly lead to blockages in the suction hose or container inlet.
Level 2 is only used for operating power tools. The vacuum cleaner starts when the power tool is switched on and stays on for around 15-20 seconds after the power tool has been switched off.
When vacuuming fine dust you should always use a filter bag.
Check that the suction hose is inserted properly and that there are no defects. Check that the filter is in place and that it is not defective. Use a filter bag.
Replace the filter bag, clean the cartridge filter/flat pleated filter, nozzle, suction pipe and suction hose. Replace the seals if necessary.
The device switches itself off when the dirt receptacle is too full. If the filling level probe and casing are wet, this can cause a moisture path to form. Allow the device to dry out and clean the filling level probe.
Remove the cartridge filter and empty the container. If there is water in the cartridge filter, allow this to dry.